Friday, September 15, 2006

03 The First Date

The emails had continued unabated for some time now [barely two weeks to be precise]. By this time, she had given me enough hints that she wouldn’t mind going out with me and I had also hinted obscurely that I wanted to go with her on a date. Finally, I sent her an email listing a few significant places of interest in Bangalore and subtly added that I wouldn’t mind taking her around to these places as a friend cum guide. As I did not know very well what type of a person she was, I had listed quite a few places most of which were ancient temples and a few museums.
To my delight and a little bit of disappointment, she accepted the offer and said that she’d go out with me on Saturday to the places that I decide. I think she didn’t want to decide exactly for the same reasons for which I had put up the long list. This was definitely the first drop in my cup of woes. However, I didn’t notice that drop as it was going to be my first ever date with a girl I had actually tried to court for over two weeks. This was my first responsibility-to-be on my first ever date and I was ready for the challenge.
Was it fast? I wasn’t totally prepared for it, but I decided that I will take it easy. The first thing that I wanted to do was to plan it out in advance by talking to her and then extracting hints from her as to which type of places would she like to go. It was my first date-to-be and I wanted it to be a success. Gathering my guts and my senses, I called her up on Friday night. However, to my dismay, the phone was switched off. After trying it again a few more times, I cursed my luck and decided that it shall happen the next day in the morning. The sleep wasn’t peaceful and I woke up around five to six times that night.
As soon as I woke up in the morning, I tried once again. The result was no different. I completed my daily ablutions and then started reading the newspaper, with my mind thinking about how the day ahead would be. Needless to say, I had hardly read any article in the next one hour and a half. My thought was broken by Pal’s loud alarm and his waking up with a loud “Shit” in his mouth. Before I could think about the reason for his expletive, Pal was ready and off he went. He had hardly taken 15 minutes from the time he got up to the time he was tying the laces of his shoes. While moving out, he told me that he’ll be back late as he had plans all day with Monica.
No sooner than he left, I started feeling lonely again. I retried the number, but it was still switched off. I decided that the best way to pass my time was to go to office. I had a look at my face in the mirror. I had hints of facial hair in patches and looked unclean. I decided against shaving or taking a bath as I was sure that it would be of no use now. I scavenged through the huge pile of laundry on Pal’s Mattress and picked up one of his not-so-dirty jackets. It was not that cold that day; but a jacket was the best way to cover up the wrinkles in a shirt which you do not intend to iron. Wearing Jeans and floaters was the fastest way to get ready and get going to catch the 10:30 bus from Adarsh Gardens. I had to rush, but I did well to reach the bus stop in time.
On my way to office, I was looking out of the window, but wasn’t actually seeing anything. Lost in deep thoughts, I was absolutely ignorant about the surroundings. “Was there something wrong with her? Had she deliberately switched off her cell? Was she trying to avoid me?” There were numerous questions, but no answers. Before I could realize, the bus had reached office. Being a Saturday, not many were present in the office. I leisurely meandered to the Food Court and went to the Amul’s counter. A pizza and flavored milk later, I proceeded to my seat, not knowing what I shall do next.
I found Pardeep in the office as usual. He was about to go to the gym and was checking his emails. I went to my seat and unlocked my PC. As a habitual activity, the first thing that I opened was my email and looked into the folder called Annie. There was nothing new. But wait; there was this email in the inbox from annie_2k1@xxxx.com. My hopes were proved right. It was indeed an email from her. It was a very terse email and went on something like this.

Dearest Abhi,
I have misplaced my phone yet again.
Please contact me on 990343xxxx.
Regards Annie.

With a big sigh of relief, I noted down the number and called it from my desk.
A female voice responded from the other end, but it was not her. I asked for Annie. She asked me who I was. After hearing my name and confirming it once, she gave me another number to call. It was Swati on the phone and Annie was not with her at that moment as she had gone out for brunch with Harleen and therefore I had to call up Harleen’s number to speak to Annie. Swati and Harleen were both Annie’s flat-mates.
I called up Harleen’s number and asked for Annie and she was handed over the phone.
“Hello”, she said, “I wasn’t sure that you will read the email and call me. However, that was the only thing that I could have done. Even your number was there in that phone and so I couldn’t call you up either…”
“So what happened to your phone?” I interrupted her. God knows how long she would have spoken for otherwise.
“Actually, this time I am sure that I will get it back.” She gave a naughty reply and I could imagine that she was smiling on the other side.
“But what happened?” I had to repeat the question.
“Well yesterday, I had gone to a friend’s place for a get together and I forgot my jacket along with the phone.” Her voice sounded apprehensive of my reaction.
“So why didn’t your friend pick up the phone and tell me this? I would have been less worried about the matter.” I said in a frustrated tone remembering my woes since the previous night.
“Well… to make matters worse, that guy has gone to Delhi last night.” she seemed to be a bit happy at my previous statement that I was worried.
“When are you getting your phone back?” I asked.
“After he returns… that would be next week.” She promptly replied with conviction in her voice.
“Okay. So how are we meeting today? Can you come to Jayanagar 4th Block?” I had known since my college days that my friends usually fixed their dates there.
“Hey Abhi, you know that I am new to the place and don’t really know of any place. I know only of Family Mart.” she said.
“Oh well… I shall come to Family Mart then. What time?” I said pondering on how I would go.
“Right now I am eating and Harleen has already finished her Dosa. I have to go back and have a bath. I shall be ready only after two hours.”
It was around 1 o’ clock and therefore I decided to take the 3 o’ clock bus to JP Nagar 6th Phase.
“Okay then, I shall meet you at Family Mart at around 3:45. Is that fine?”
She agreed, and to Harleen’s relief we ended this conversation.

I went and talked to Pardeep for some time and then checked my emails. There were hardly any emails and it was really difficult to while away the time till 3 o’ clock. With great delay, 2:30 came and I left my seat to head towards the bus stand. As you can probably understand, it was too early and there was no bus waiting. For around 10 agonizing minutes, I waited in the sun and then the bus arrived. I sat for another 10 minutes in the bus before it left. After around 45 minutes, in which I had a million thoughts, the bus reached JP Nagar bus stand. As Family Mart was less than half a kilometre from there, I decided to walk.

Comments:
well i didn't get to come to the wedding so the blog will make up for it. what next?
 
The sequel shall arrive at its time :-).
The First Date is incomplete and its the Ch-3. I hope you read the Ch-1 The First Encounter as well...
Ch-2 The Series of Emails is in the draft state.
Currently, I am spending my free time studying Quantitative Analysis for CAT..
I'll resume and finish the work post Nov 19.
Till then please bear with me. :)
 
CAT is long gone. Can you post the remaining part of the story. I am actually curious :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?